When you attend an all-day training session on a Friday, you might think by noon you’d be ready to blow off the rest of the day and start your weekend. That was not the feeling Dan Costello, CEO, and I had about the Google Elevator agency training session led by Alex Langshur (CEO of Cardinal Path). In fact, I was geared up and ready for a “day two” if there was one! Attending Google Elevator not only benefits Acumium, but our clients as well, as we put best practices into motion right away.
Google Elevator Program: 6 Key Takeaways
Acumium was joined by 16 other agency owners, some of which traveled as far as Kentucky to be at Google in Chicago, one of four locations offered by the Google Partners North America program. Although we learned many beneficial tools throughout the course of the day, there were a few ideas that stuck out to me the most.
- Learn to Commit. Whether that is in training, meetings or anything else you’re attending. It’s your time, so ignore the urge to be distracted. You’ll learn more and those around you will appreciate your time. (e.g., put your phone away).
- Communicate Simply. It is important to communicate in the simplest of terms and use metaphors. They are a powerful way to help people relate.
- Introduce your Team. Never let your team members introduce themselves. They’re usually too humble, which doesn’t help to build confidence with your clients (whomever you’re serving). As a leader, you should always do the introductions. It not only looks professional, but also makes your team feel good when they can hear their value.
- Protect your Time. You only have so many minutes in a day. Help others understand how and when you’ll respond. Focus on the important tasks that will drive things forward. Avoid fritters (checking email every second) and block time on your calendar to get things done.
- “Steer into Conflict.” Deal with issues, don’t dwell on them. Getting to issue resolution faster will benefit everyone.
- Align Professional and Personal Goals. Do what you are doing because you derive great value from it. Don’t let things own you. Set goals that align with your inner happiness. You cannot go back in time, so make decisions today that will benefit you both personally and professionally.
What is Google Elevator?
Google Elevator is an exclusive digital agency program that works with the leadership of selected digital agencies that demonstrate high performance for their clients and show the capabilities of rapid growth and an expanding client base.
This interactive all-day event covered many areas and was chock-full of practical examples that were applicable to any business.
- Strategic planning
- Pricing strategies and cost
- Sales pipeline management
- Pitch, negotiations and objections
- Time tracking and culture